Busy, busy, and more busy….

Well, it’s been a little while since I last posted.

We’ve been rather busy at work recently, I’ve just completed two weeks of delivering training webinars and I am now due to be on the road for a little bit visiting clients.

My colleague Ian is jet setting off to Fargo for reIMAGINE2016 where he is delivering a session and no doubt enjoying himself, lucky man!

My next post will be a small guide I wrote as a reference for support to use when working with the Web Client. I’ve had a fair few questions about supporting the Web Client so thought this may be useful for some people as a reference too.

It’s not meant to be an in depth guide, but may be useful for some.

 

Share on Social Media:

GP Crashes when opening Email setup

After designing a Word Template for a client of ours, they were trying to set up the Email Messages and Sales Email Settings.

Dynamics GP kept crashing with the following message:

Microsoft Dynamics GP has stopped working

This particular client is using Dynamics GP 2010 SP3, Office 2010 and Office 365 with a Terminal Server. The crash was happening for all users so I had a horrible feeling that this was due to Office 365 and knew that this is not supported by Microsoft.

My first step was to test using an IMAP account that I had created using my own host and this worked.

I had a ponder about what the difference between my account and their accounts was… both of our accounts were hosted off site.

Once of the differences that I could think of was that my account would not be using an Outlook Data File… maybe it was something to do with that? I decided to remove my IMAP account and set the o365 account back up again. While doing this I had a bit of a flashback from my time on our service desk.

What about Cached Exchange Mode?

I turned Cached Exchange Mode on for this account in the Mail options from Control Panel and tried again and the screens now open in Dynamics GP!

The main difference with cached exchange mode is that, if turned on, the users will have an OST file on the server which will potentially increase in size depending on the users mailbox size. I had a chat with the clients IT provider who is happy for Cached Exchange Mode to be enabled.

Find more information about Cached Exchange Mode here.

Share on Social Media:

Error creating GL Code

I was giving one of our guys a hand last week with a client that kept getting an error message when trying to create a GL code.

The error the user was getting was as follows:

This record has been created since your attempt to create it.

I checked GL00100 and GL00105 by running the following script

SELECT ACTINDX FROM GL00105
EXCEPT
SELECT ACTINDX FROM GL00100

This returned one value, I ran a select for the ACTINDX that showed and this was indeed for the code that the user was trying to create. Removing the information from this table should have resolved the problem. We did this and tried to then create the GL code again – but again, we got the error message.

Sure enough, the GL code was in GL00105 and not GL00100.

I decided that I would run Check Links on Account Master. During this process we got two errors:

Followed by:

It seemed to me that Check Links had found an issue and that the GL code did not exist in the table frl_acct_code and while trying to add the information back in using the ‘glCLAccountMSTR’ stored procedure, it encountered a primary key violation error which means that the information it was trying to insert was already there.

I had a look at the table frl_acct_code in the GP company database and sure enough the information was there. I removed it and removed the line from GL00105 again and attempted to create the GL code again.

It worked.

Following up with some research on frl_acct_code, it looks like this table is from when the client used to run FRx – it’s added as a part of running FRx’s ‘Server Based Index’ script which is on the FRx 6.7 media.

The client is now on 2015 R2 with Management Reporter so I don’t believe this table should be in use anymore. They’re shortly moving to 2016 so this is maybe something we need to look into at the point of doing an upgrade in their staging environment.

Let me know if you’ve had any similar experiences!

 

Share on Social Media: