Management Reporter: Couldn’t retrieve the list of available databases

Good Morning!

While configuring a VM and installing Management Reporter to work with Dynamics GP 2016 R1, I came across a problem when putting in the username and password to access the GP databases.

Couldn’t retrieve the list of available databases: The connection attempt failed.

My initial steps were to make sure that the SQL server was running. I checked Windows Event Viewer and found no more information than I already had.

A google of the problem found the following post from December 2014 on the Microsoft Community Forums where Richard Markham suggested that installing Dexterity Shared Components 12 from Dynamics GP 2013 R2 would resolve the issue.

I tried this, and it worked.

Mariano Gomez also has a fantastic post on the same subject.

 

Share on Social Media:

Error deleting company in Management Reporter

I was in the process of moving Dynamics GP and Management Reporter for a client and came across an issue deleting a company in the Configuration Console for MR.

It seems that my client had old companies listed which they could not get rid of. When trying to delete the company in the Configuration Console, the following error would come up:

This company is referenced by an existing report definition or reporting tree definition. Remove these associations before deleting the company.

My client had already checked through all of their Report Definitions and Tree Definitions and the old companies were not referenced.

I decided to have a look at the database and see if there were entries linking the company somehow.

My first port of call was to find the Company IDs of the companies in question. To do this, I ran the following in SQL Management Studio against the ManagementReporter database:

SELECT * FROM ControlCompany

I got the Company IDs from the ID column and then ran the following:

SELECT * FROM ControlReport WHERE COMPANYID = 'XXX'
SELECT * FROM ControlTreeDetail WHERE COMPANYID = 'XXX'

The COMPANYID is the ID that you picked up from the ControlCompany table. This showed a multitude of results, which confirmed my thoughts that there are linked in the database, even though none can be found in the Report Designer UI.

I now knew that it was necessary to remove data from the database.

WARNING:

ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DATABASE BEFORE DELETING OR AMENDING RECORDS AS A PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE.

From here, I deleted the records relating to the old companies in SQL:

DELETE FROM ControlReport WHERE COMPANYID = 'XXX'

DELETE FROM ControlTreeDetail WHERE COMPANYID = 'XXX'

Once these records were gone, I was able to delete the old companies through the Configuration Console.

 

 

Share on Social Media: